More Missing Middle Housing for Asheville
Learn More about “Missing Middle” Housing
Asheville is in the midst of a conversation about missing middle housing—it’s been going on for years. And other cities and states around the country have been having their own conversations too.
We’ve pulled together links about some of those conversations here. Keep an eye out for updates!
City of Asheville
News Updates on “Missing Middle” in Asheville
- March 6, 2023: “City of Asheville Approves Missing Middle Housing Study Contract” - The City of Asheville
- October 10, 2022: “Asheville seeks solutions for ‘missing middle housing’: townhomes, duplexes, multiplexes” - Citizen Times
Local Voices on Why “Missing Middle” Matters
- May 13, 2023: “Letter: Fighting Climate Change Means Rejecting Car-Centered Land Use” - Mountain Xpress
- April 15, 2023: “Letter: Include Zoning and Development in Climate Policy” - Mountain Xpress
Resources for Learning More About Missing Middle Housing
- “Missing Middle Housing” - Opticos Design
- “Missing Middle Housing” - AARP
- “The Houses that Can’t be Built in America - The Missing Middle” - Not Just Bikes
“Missing Middle” News from Around the Country
- May 12, 2023: “The NIMBYs in My Backyard” - Slate
- March 22, 2023: “Arlington Ends Single-Family-Zoning” - Washington Post
- February 2, 2023: “How Backlash Reversed a Florida City’s Reforms to Allow Denser Housing” - Bloomberg CityLab
* * *
Click “Next” to find out how the process for attaining more middle housing in Asheville may unfold.